Tuesday, October 24

Okay, I'll try to describe Rhinebeck now. It took me a few days to recover and be able to part with the fabulous yarn long enough to sit here and write about it. Wow. So much yarn. So much beautiful, hand-dyed yarn! I bought only variegated yarn, and a lot of it. Goodbye, solid colors! (for now, anyway - still lots in the stash). I'll start with describing the festivities, and I'll go over my haul in a future post. I dropped my digital camera this morning (those things were NOT designed for clumsy people) and I hadn't taken pictures of my yarn buys yet, so the sheep will come first.

My train up to Rhinebeck was an hour behind schedule, so I didn't get into the fair until 10:30. I went straight to the Fold for Socks That Rock (not hard to spot where all the people were heading) and grabbed a skein. I restricted myself to one skein; I had to pace myself and I didn't want to be greedy. Over the day, I didn't spend much time looking at "finished objects" - stuff made out of yarn - but standing in the STR line for a half hour gave me time to check out some crazy felted jewelry (not really my style...) and beautiful lace shawls.

I happened to stand in line behind two girls from my town! Hopefully we'll get together and knit. They were also able to point out to me the Yarn Harlot and January One. After completing my first purchase of the day, I asked them where I could find more sock yarn and they pointed me to Spirit Trail, where I splurged on the super-chic silk blend. I ended up revisiting this vendor several times that day to see the colors. After that I went through the building thoroughly checking out every vendor. Along the way I picked up some Noro (3 matching skeins for two pairs of Fetching) and later returned for some Debbie Bliss Soho (maybe another pair of Fetching?).

I ventured out to the other buildings and visited the alpaca and llamas...


No comments: