Thursday, December 28

Woo! I'm back! Sadly, the digital camera is not. But I'm taking it to the city this weekend to get repaired. :) In the meantime, I have finally developed my roll of film (I forgot how nice film pictures look) and got a photo cd. I now present to you...the argyle hat:


I have actually finished the top of the hat as well, but I haven't woven in the ends or added the blue diagonal lines on the argyle part. I am very proud of the construction of this hat, but the end product is not exactly how I envisioned it. I have a lot of other projects on the needles and lined up, so it may be a while before I finish the hat and knit the matching scarf. Also, the Knitter's Companion is awesome.

I made this hat over the summer, here modeled by my youngest brother Michael.


I visited the other yarn store in town and they had the hat on display, so I picked up the yarn (Nashua) and the pattern. The hat is knit a la yarn harlot's "quick hat" - in a rectangle, then sewn together and gathered on one side. I crocheted the top closed instead of gathering the whole thing, because it was too short. I actually described this hat in my first September post, and posted a picture of the orange version shortly after.

What else? I finished my first pair of socks! And I knit a pair of Fetching from some Brooks Farm yarn (from Rhinebeck). Unfortunately, everyone and their mother wants a pair of Fetching, and I have no appropriate stash yarn to make another pair or four. The yarn I originally bought for the pattern (for two pairs) was Noro Silk Garden, but the color repeats were waaaay too long and the yarn wasn't soft enough. The Noro is currently being knit into a Danica scarf and looks fabulous. I also tried the Fetching with some Debbie Bliss Soho but it was too bulky and the colors pooled. Both the Noro and Debbie Bliss were on sale at Rhinebeck. Soho may become a hat, but not now.

Wait, there's more! I am also knitting......CLAPOTIS!!! Yay! Out of the drop-dead gorgeous Brooks Farm yarn I bought, and it looks amazing. Damn you, digital camera! I am about halfway done, which means there is a lot left to do. About two weeks ago I thought I would aim for finishing by New Year's Eve, but then I started the entrelac scarf. I had to! Everyone was talking about entrelac! And since I finished my socks, I needed a new portable project.

Speaking of which, one of my Christmas presents was going to be a knitting bag. My mom and I went shopping for one, but I didn't find one I liked. A friend of mine had just shown me a bag she sewed herself, so I was inspired (stupidly) to make my own knitting bag. Well, it was a great idea, except I am not so hot at the sewing. I spent pretty much all of December 24 on my mom's sewing machine, and everything is done except the handles. But of course that's where I stopped because that's where it stopped working. The handles just don't fit on the bag. So now I have a beautiful bag with no handles or strap. Sigh. The problem will be solved soon enough. I have convinced myself that if I just sit and "think" (i.e. stare blankly at it) I will figure out what to do.

Gee, what else have I knit / am I knitting? Currently I'm just working on Danica and Clapotis. I need to finish these because starting January 1st I'm knitting sock yarn only for the Lime n' Violet Sock Marathon 2007. Which gives me an excuse to go home and fondle my sock yarn again in order to count how many miles I have. (I'm guessing two). But I have already wound the STR yarn that I bought at Rhinebeck and I squish it once and awhile....so pretty. I also want to knit my Spirit Trail sock yarn into a kick-ass lacy springtime hat. (Now how often are kick-ass and lacy in the same sentence?) I can't wait for my camera to get fixed! There will be much photographing of the stash....woo hoo! Hopefully followed by some photographing of finished objects. :)

No comments: