Tuesday, February 20

So much to say! First of all, I won yarn!!! Free yarn!!! From the Briar Rose Fibers knitalong. Of course, this motivated me to start swatching for my project. I want to make a tank top - it's a laceweight fiber, so I think anything decent (you know, PG) will have to be knit on small needles. Not exactly the kind of project I was looking to start as an alternative to socks, but oh well. I swatched in the chevron scarf pattern from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" on US 3 needles. It looks nice but the shaping row is such a pain with the thin yarn and small needles. Also, I think the waviness will get lost farther from the edge and may be a waste of effort. The color repeats are too short to stripe and accent the chevron. I may just do the Lotus lace pattern (from Interweave Knits Summer 2006) that I've been planning on knitting, but with a modified top to use less yarn. I'm worried I'll run out - I only bought one hank! Granted, it's a large hank, and I'm a small person, but still.

Also wonderfully, I have finished my Clapotis! It is amazing, but it sheds over everything (50% mohair) but I don't care because it is so beautiful. And the fuzz comes off stuff easily. When I wear it as a scarf with my coat, it is incredibly warm. I love it, but not enough to knit another one. I don't think I really understand those people who knit three or four of the same shawls....there are too many other patterns to do. I guess if you like mindless knitting and know a pattern well, it makes sense because it's relatively automatic, less stressful to start, etc.

I can really appreciate that right now. I think I have some new project anxiety. I have so many projects that I want to do, but none of them are really appropriate right now. Like the Briar Rose top - I would cast on right now if I had a pattern that I liked! But I'm so picky, and really paranoid about running out of yarn. I may try to knit something top down so I can just bind off when I run out!! I came up with a really cool (but insanely difficult) pattern today for a top (on paper only of course) but it's not right for this yarn.

I should also be knitting socks for my mom. Okay, so I did wind the yarn into balls and I have ordered the needles. So I'm not avoiding it. I am excited to try socks on two circulars - hopefully it will help the knitting go faster! I think I'm discouraged because of how my Socks that Rock are going. Well, is going - just one so far. I'm almost to the heel shaping, having started toe-up, and I'm really worried about fit. Not supposed to be a problem with toe up, right? That's only if the DPNs the sock is on don't cut off your circulation when you put the sock on - another reason I'm glad to try circulars. And knitting these socks with US 0 may turn out to be a good thing, but right now it sucks sucks sucks. It's basically the Sock that Sucks. I'm switching to US 1 for the leg - might even do it on circulars too. I've got plenty of sock yarn in sock weight, but I may start buying sport weight and knitting with US 4. At least for gifts.

Hmm okay. Need to end on a good note. Did I mention I won yarn?!!?!?! And the tank top I'm going to make out of the yarn I have is going to be the best ever. Seriously.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hello!!
Haven't heard from you in awhile. Your Briar Rose fibers miss you. So...I'm tagging you for 7 random facts. Check my blog for my facts.
Kim
http://thekniterella.blogspot.com/